Taking inspiration from the article I have selected for the layout of my article, I decided to keep the layout to having 3 grids, using Georgia and Helvetica Light as complimentary fonts also. By keeping it to this structure, it does not look out of place against the rest of the layout of the magazine, but instead flows with the rest of the magazine. I also included a mock up picture to ensure that the layout looks how I have envisioned it to look when designing it.
I experimented with the paragraphs, trying out with gaps, without gaps, as well as the font size. I wanted to pay close attention to the detail in comparison with the other articles in the magazine. I noticed that they kept the first word in the article in capitals next to the drop cap, which I have also decided to replicate. Similarly, I kept the layout similar to the rest of the magazine structure, as I felt this was the best way of presenting it, so it does not stand out too far against the rest of the magazine.
I’m happy with the result of my article. I feel that it flows nicely in the rest of the magazine, as well as linking well to the image presented. The link in the article and the link with the picture go well against each other; the article explains the background of the image, and the image shows the example of what’s new in the exhibition.
I wasn’t completely satisfied with my font choice, so I researched what font New Scientist had used (The Antiqua Basic), and I got the closet one equivalent: Tele-Antiqua. Similarly, the title used Neo Sans STD, which is what I have found a font similar to this: Titillium Web. Putting my final images into the article, I felt that they all worked well with the article.
My personal favourites were these three. What I liked about the image with myself holding it, is that it shows more meaning into the picture, knowing that the person who’s ‘head’ it is, is holding their own.
Similarly, I thought the other image was equally striking. I thought the border of the background worked well with the image, as it helped to break up the image slightly to allow more room and focus on the center of that page, but also allow the audience to read the article easily without too many distractions opposite the page.
Lastly, the image that has no border I felt gave a good contrast between the colours and the separation of the image from the rest of the magazine.
I wanted to make sure I was considering my audience carefully after the feedback. Knowing that people of various visual impairments would see my poster, I wanted to make sure that people who are colour blind could still see the image.
What I had decided to do, is greyscale the pictures; the main ones, and the articles. By turning it greyscale, it shows how similar the hues are from each other. From turning it greyscale, I can see that the image is still clear to see, as well as the colours in the article. Considering the majority of the target audience means that my design is tailored to more people, and therefore would make it a more effective design, knowing that the majority can see it visually and clearly.
By making sure that the audience can see the story, it adds more meaning to the picture, drawing people in to want to look at it, which would also encourage people to visit the exhibition to find out what else they have introduced that is bigger, better and even more different than before; aiming at more people individually, like my cut out piece.